I’ve been asked a couple of times why I moved from Etsy to Big Cartel, if I would recommend Big Cartel over Etsy, and some other very similar questions. I figured I would explain it all, my thoughts on both, and the pros/cons of each of them.
Pros of using Etsy:
- The amount of support you receive with their guides/newsletters
- Great for learning how to sell your work
- No limit to how many products you can sell
- The “other” form of payment which make gift certificates/giveaways very easy
- Feedback to show a reputable seller
- Little to no HTML knowledge necessary
Cons of using Etsy:
- Lack of customization for shops & miniature header
- Fees associated with each listing
- Little personality is shown through each shop
- A less professional feel for me, especially as I expand to selling outside of the Internet
- Can feel more competitive than necessary
OVERALL: I am SO glad I started on Etsy. I learned a lot – and will continue to learn a lot – from all of their various resources. However, their fees can get excessive and I wanted to branch out further into branding myself.
Pros of using Big Cartel:
- Relatively easy to upload new layout designs/change colors for the shop
- One time monthly fee – no transaction or listing fees
- Easy for customers to use
- Option to add various sizes/colors/variations in the same listing
- Free option if only selling a few items
Cons of using Big Cartel:
- Product limitation (my items can get around this, some may not be able to)
- Can only pay through PayPal – no other options yet
- Less sense of community
- A bit harder to find products within searching from the Big Cartel directory
OVERALL: Not the best place to start and gain confidence from your store, but an excellent place to move on to once you have consistent sales. So many options to really make your shop more like you. Product limitations are not a problem for me as one item can have varied sizes, colors, etc.
The reasons behind me moving
Included all of those, but were mostly swayed by a few things:
- Most of my traffic came from my blog, blogs I sponsored/ad swapped with, or Twitter and therefore Etsy was not a requirement as a source of traffic.
- My monthly fees on Etsy were far exceeding the monthly fee ($20) I pay on Big Cartel for 100 products.
- I wanted to branch out and create my own look and feel to my shop.
- I wanted to start selling offline which for me meant I wanted an easy to remember URL.
Please remember that this was my experience with Etsy and Big Cartel. For others, it may be totally different. If you do have any questions in regards to either one though, I am happy to try and help! Send me an email or leave a comment below. :]